Polls

Are you ready for school to start again?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Day Creek brings back soccer

Sydney N.
A player during the boys soccer game against Heritage Intermediate School.

For the first time in 12 years, Day Creek has reintroduced a soccer team to our fields. On Thursday, April 18, our lady Coyotes kicked their game off locally at Etiwanda Intermediate School. The boys had the privilege of holding things down at Day Creek, which ended in a tie. 

Regardless of the scores, the results were the same: a huge victory for our campus. Players joined in celebrating a return to the turf, the first time since 2012 for budgetary and health reasons. 

“I was very excited when I found out I was on the soccer team, because I get to show off to other schools and show them that we are better,” said Penelope M. 

The last time a ball crossed midfield, Penelope was in a onesie with a binky between her teeth.

Soccer’s return provides students a way to represent their school like they never have before. Students from 6th, 7th and 8th grade, will compete through May. Students and parents have lined the field to show their encouragement. 

“They brought colorful banners to support us. They were cheering us on even when we didn’t do our best,” said Sadie C

Most of Day Creek’s players have been competing since the early years of AYSO. Some have joined club teams and hope to play locally for Los Osos or Rancho High School. 

“I love soccer. It’s my passion. I’ve been playing since I was three years old,” said Taylor S.

The game has brought a new connection for students beyond the plastic chairs in classrooms. 

“It gives us a different subject to talk about. It’s an interest that we all have, and we’re not just learning in class. We’re having fun while doing something together. When we’re winning, we’re all excited and more encouraging to each other,” said Sadie R.

When the Etiwanda School District chose to bring soccer back, students jumped at the opportunity. Now they are able to create a memory in representing their school with their friends.

“I feel like it was a good decision for us to bring soccer back because it’s a really fun sport. When I’m on the field, there’s just so much adrenaline, and I’ve known my teammates for a long time; it’s a lot of fun,” said Jayden D.

These dedicated players are determined to take advantage of the opportunity. The players have a mix of nervousness and excitement as they continue deep into their season. 

“You have to build up your confidence. Sometimes you’ll have butterflies in your stomach, which will cause you to be off your game. I always get that mentality to get rid of them. I tell myself I’m better, and I can beat everyone on the field. You just have to think you are that good,” said Avery A.