Polls

Do you love State Testing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Shohei Ohtani Switches Teams

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
Shohei Ohtani switches teams.

Who doesn’t love baseball?! The exhilaration fans feel by the speed of a pitch, crack of a bat, and dive of an outfielder to end a wild play. Baseball is an American pastime and conversation starter that brings families and communities together. But what is it about baseball that is so appealing? For some, it’s the success of a favorite player. And a favorite player in Southern California these days is definitely Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani, one of the most unique and perhaps best baseball player in the world just packed up his bags, leaving the Angels team and moving to the Dodgers having received a massive 10-year $700M contract.

Ohtani broke the news to all his fans through Instagram.

“To all the fans and everyone involved in the baseball world, I apologize for taking so long to come to a decision, I have decided to choose the Dodgers as my next team,” wrote Ohtani.

“[Shohei Ohtani is] one of the best pitchers. He can hit and pitch,” said Joshua K.

Ohtani’s contract is the biggest in baseball history with a higher price than the 12-year, $426.5 million extension given to Mike Trout from the Angels in 2019. It also surpassed the highest North American professional sports contract Patrick Mahomes recently signed, a $450 million deal with the Kansas City Chiefs.

“I think [$700M] is a good amount because [Ohtani] is the only player that’s currently hitting and pitching at a good level,” said Eli R.

While some of Ohtani’s fans have no problem with his move across town, some Angels fans are disappointed by losing such a valuable player.

“I feel disappointed because [Ohtani was the Angels] only good player,” said Eli R., an Angels fan.

Meanwhile, Dodgers’ fans have hope for a great future with Ohtani. They’re ready to begin their new, bright future and Ohtani might just be the biggest part of the team’s newfound success.

“The Dodgers have a really strong team. I think they will contend for the playoffs. I think they could win it!” said Joshua K.