The most overrated holiday? Valentine’s

A wreath filled with love.
Madi C.
A wreath filled with love.

February 14 is the day that the question is tossed in the air among young lovers: “Will you be my Valentine?” And everyone around campus is praying to be asked. Well, maybe not everyone. 

The Day of Love arrives, If it doesn’t happen, you get a major case of FOMO (fear of missing out). But that raises an interesting question: if couples share love all the time, why is Valentine’s so special?

“I feel like [Valentine’s day] is a day for people to give gifts, like teddy bears and flowers. If you don’t have a Valentine, it’s the most horrible day of the year, but if you do, it’s fun,” said Shani T

You may think Valentine’s Day is special, it is the one day that you know you’ll get lots of love. If you’re single, you’ll probably be Valentines with a friend, yet it’s not the same. 

“I feel like if you don’t have a Valentine, it’s pretty pointless. Even if you do, that can be someone’s only excuse to give flowers. If you like someone, you [can] get them flowers any day, but the only way that it’s fun is if you make it a Galentine’s,” said Gianna C.

Having a friend as a Valentine is called a Galentine, as girls come together to enjoy Valentine’s Day. 

Girls expect their boyfriend to ask them to be their Valentine. 

“A guy should [always ask the girl if she wants to be his Valentine]. [Even if] you feel like you have to, but it depends on the person you like or the person you’re asking,” said Tristan E.

Most commonly, boys ask the question and the girl replies. When a boy or girl loses their chance to ask, they feel loneliness and regret on Valentine’s Day. A majority of people that are single feel excluded. 

“I don’t like Valentine’s Day at all. I think it’s stupid because I’m always lonely, and a lot of people are,” said Dylan G. “It’s just a holiday that rubs [loneliness] in your face.”

When some are happy and others aren’t, the holiday gets a bad reputation. Some people think it’s a little overrated. After all, couples can share their affection every day. But on Valentines, single people have no choice but to watch and suffer.

”You see all the couples [exchanging love], so Valentine’s day is kind of overrated,” said Mya G. “It’s a day to celebrate the person you love, but that should be everyday.”