Should Teachers Receive Presents?

Jennica V. and Rachel B.

Some school districts prohibit teachers from receiving any gifts throughout the school year.  Some states like Utah do not let teachers accept specific gifts such as gifts that convey an inappropriate relationship, from students. Although some may abuse these freedoms, should these acts of gratitude be stopped?

“A student gives a gift to his teacher to thank him for all he has done for him. A gift is a way to show you are grateful for your teacher,” said Mr. Carson, a vice principal at Day Creek Intermediate School

Many teachers do receive presents worth more than $50. Some may assume that these pricey gifts are used as a bribe, but what most teachers worry about is if the gifts are pressuring other students to give high-priced gifts.

“I feel pressured sometimes when some people bring huge gift baskets and I only bring a small gift bag,” said Natalie F., a sixth grade student at Day Creek Intermediate School.

”One kid comes in with a cut-crystal vase and the kid next to her comes in with nothing. Think how uncomfortable it is for the teacher. It has to be a level playing field. That’s critical in the culture of our school. You don’t want to put any child in an embarrassing, competitive position. You have to take money out of the picture,” said William Cirullo, the principal of Riverside Elementary School in Princeton, New Jersey.

A few students buy inappropriate gifts for their teachers who then have little choice but to refuse the gift. The students put much thought into how to thank their teachers, but it can be hard for a teacher to accept a gift that he or she feels uncomfortable with.

“We ask that you not put a teacher or employee in the position of having to refuse a gift, which could crush a child’s feelings,” said Linda Joseph, the principal at Gwin Elementary School.

Depending on the teacher or principal’s thoughts, a homemade gift or a gift card, which they can use to buy whatever they want, can mean more to them. It all comes down to the opinions of teachers. Not all teachers are the same.

“Most of the time a kind note is more meaningful to the teacher than a gift. I guess it depends on the teacher. I keep all of the cards that people give me, I still have them,” said Mr. Carson, a vice principal at Day Creek Intermediate School.

“I think handmade gifts are cool because that means they took the time to make them,” said Mrs. Merry, a seventh grade teacher at Day Creek Intermediate School.

Gifts given to teachers at any time of the year can still be seen as a thought of consideration. Gifts are given to show teachers how appreciative we are of them.

“I think that kids generally want to show that they care. I think that the gifts are a token of appreciation,¨ said Mrs. Larkin, a seventh grade teacher at Day Creek Intermediate School.

“I think gifts are a nice way to say thank you and recognize all the hard work that teachers do in and outside of the classroom,” said Mrs. Merry, a seventh grade teacher at Day Creek Intermediate School.

All in all, depending on the school or community, the way the gifts of students are reflected upon differs. While some teachers may consider students’ gifts as bribes, other teachers believe they are just generous ways to show appreciation.