Sugar Addictions

Rachel B. and Morgan P.

Valentine’s Day is coming!  But have you ever checked to see how much sugar is in those candy grams?

Many obese teens and children as young as eight years old are showing heart problems because of excessive sugar consumption. This may be the result of a sugar addiction. If someone has a sugar addiction, he or she always craves a sugary snack or beverage. According to Charlotte Watts Health, someone with a sugar addiction may find himself shaking, chattering his teeth, and having anxiety.

Production of soda is increasing, and so are the consumption rates. Companies such as Coca Cola and Pepsi continue to create highly popular carbonated drinks in various flavors. Once children taste them, can they resist?

Most school cafeterias are trying to serve balanced meals with limited sugar. The problem is students will not eat foods that do not taste sugary or sweet. Most students are drawn to tasty, unhealthy foods.

“Sometimes it’s hard to provide food students would want to eat without a lot of sugar. Students love sugary, fatty choices,” said Joe DeAngelis, the head of the Day Creek Intermediate School cafeteria.

Extreme sugar consumption can even lead to diabetes, more specifically type 2 diabetes. According to the American Diabetes Association, type 2 diabetes is most common in African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders. It is also common among people over forty years old. People with diabetes have to be extra careful of their diets.

“You also need to limit what you have because then your blood sugar will go sky high,” said Aaron V., a diabetic student at Day Creek Intermediate School.

“I couldn’t eat anything, like a lot of sweets at some points in time during the day,” agreed another diabetic student at Day Creek Intermediate School.