Washington DC, New York Trip

The students of the 2016-17 Washington DC, New York trip take a picture in Times Square.

photo by GroupPhotos.com © 2017

photo by GroupPhotos.com © 2017

Rachel B., Editor-in-chief

Ahh… The biting cold freezing my toes off while needle-like snow particles pricked my red, numb cheeks- isn’t this the definition of paradise? The 2017 Washington D.C.,New York trip brought this paradise to life for the lucky Californian kids who attended.

Hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Gossage, the trip introduced numerous historical monuments and landmarks that many would not usually be able to see. My favorite? The Statue of Liberty– no, the Washington Monument… wait, the Smithsonian American History Museum. Nevermind, I just can’t choose. While going to the top of the One World Trade Center and the Empire State, I discovered another purpose for elevators. The walls of the elevator became screens that showed videos. How come I never thought of this before? We visited many memorials, some, such as the 9/11 memorial, made us forget our dignity and bawl our eyes out. Don’t judge. In fact, I feel like I learned more during this trip than I learned during a school year.

Both teachers and parents were helpful chaperones who kept students from drifting away. Without them, we would’ve gotten lost in a New York minute (although, I wouldn’t mind being lost in New York). I’d like to take time, now, to say thank you.

Let’s not forget the luxuries of this trip. Oh, the food, pretty hotels, real non-yellow buses… I couldn’t have been more comfortable throughout my one-week vacation. From rotisserie chicken to fat, juicy burgers- sorry, vegetarians- our stomachs were stuffed 24/7. The hotels had the most comfy beds, which made it very difficult to wake up at 6 AM every morning. I can’t even describe how comfortable a charter bus is compared to a school bus. I could barely tell if the bus was moving.

I would give anything to rewind time and experience the East Coast trip once again. Maybe this summer vacation, gather up everyone in the family and plan a trip to the northeastern states. I guarantee that it will be worth it.

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

My Middle School Legacy

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Freshman Files: Campaign Week

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Winter Break Overview

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Freshman Files: Christmas Finals!

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Hooray For Black Friday!

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

“Hi, My Name Is…”

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

Freshman Files: “Kindness Matters” Week At RCHS

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

What’s The Deal With Water Bottle Flipping?

• Washington DC, New York Trip

Editor's Notes

National Take Your Parents To Lunch Day!

Washington DC, New York Trip