Should Selecting Subjects be Allowed?

Learning the subjects you don’t like may not seem fun at the moment, but it will definitely come in handy for the future.

IPI

Audrey C., Writer

In school, there always seems to be one subject that’s easy and fun, while another subject drags on and on. For each student, this varies. Many kids choose to focus on the subject that’s the easiest. Some people even push for students to select their own classes to make education more enjoyable. But is it good to hone in on just one area because it is a strength and ignore the rest? 

Students should be allowed to select their subjects. Teachers and parents may be thinking that their children might not learn what is really important. However, if you force education or subjects on kids they will not do well as opposed to letting them learn in whatever way they want,” said Shah Bano Blog.

If students only learn the subject they enjoy, they’ll become stronger in that core subject, which is always good. But the downside is that they’ll grow weaker in other subjects. Think of it this way: If one uses a dumbbell on their right arm, it’ll become exceedingly strong while the left will stay weak because it hasn’t had the chance to strengthen. 

A choice of subjects may seem like a way to make learning more effective, yet students should be exposed to much more. If they aren’t, it could negatively impact their future. What if their choice of a major doesn’t relate to what they’d learned in school? Though some subjects in school seem worthless and time consuming, they do prepare students for later in life. They may also ease entrance into a good college, which can provide for opportunities in the future. 

When tests are handed out and a student earns that perfect math score, they can’t help but feel proud. Yet when they take a science test and find that failing grade, it definitely doesn’t make them jump up and down with joy. 

Rather than experiencing a never-ending roller-coaster, paying attention to all subjects will help students do better on tests and put an end to the ups and downs. 

Taking a test on a subject you haven’t learned or paid attention to is like being asked to supply facts about Jade Burner when you haven’t learned about her. No one will have any facts to say about her because number one, they don’t know anything about her. And number two, Jade Burner doesn’t exist. But aside from the fact that she isn’t a real person, if a student listened to a lesson about Jade Burner, and was asked to explain her, they’d have a list ready to go. 

So to avoid having to create make-believe answers because you weren’t interested in listening, just push through. You won’t feel so bad about your grades if you pay attention and work hard, whether you like a particular class or not.

Inside or outside of school, it’s always good to have knowledge of all subjects. Who knows? A random person might walk up to you out of nowhere and ask you to recite the first 20 digits of pi or to explain the scientific method. But whether a student is proficient in one subject and fails in another, limiting yourself to your favorite subject won’t prepare you for later in life. Learning all subjects is a necessity that should be required for all students.