Orchestra vs. Band

Pixabay

Should DCIS have an orchestra or a band?

The conductor raises his hands. Immediately, bows are lifted to strings, and instruments to mouths. The timpanist’s mallets hover above the set of drums. Everyone’s eyes are glued to the slim white baton in the conductor’s hand. And then one, two, three, four. The silent room erupts into music, the flutes playing a singing melody as the cellos accompany with their deep, rich tone. 

This is what an orchestra elective would look like. As of now, Day Creek Intermediate provides band as an elective, allowing wind, brass, and percussion players to play ensemble music together. 

Our band program is currently thriving under the support of Day Creek’s students and staff. Approximately fifty students are taking band as an elective, and enjoy creating music as a group.

“I think band is a really fun elective that can carry on into high school. It’s also a great way to spend time making music with my friends on a daily basis,” states seventh-grader Royce C.

However, an orchestra incorporates more variety, including most of the instruments in band and string instruments. Many students at Day Creek play the violin, viola, cello, etc, and shifting from band to orchestra would allow more to qualify for a music elective.

Esther H., a violist, stated her opinion. “I’m a string player, so I’d definitely choose orchestra over band. If anything, it really depends on how many people here play a string instrument, since we would need a certain amount of people. But I think it’d be fun to be in an orchestra.”

On the other hand, changing from a band to orchestra significantly reduces the amount of a certain instrument that can be played. For example, there would be a substantial decrease in wind players to keep the sections balanced. 

In addition, orchestras are considerably bigger than bands. As of now, our music program takes place in E3, which is barely big enough to fit all our students. The issue of space is definitely a concern should DCIS choose to initiate another music elective. 

Although there are many obstacles that could discourage this program, Day Creek students are optimistic about the idea. 

“Even though there are a lot of things to consider, I think that DCIS should have both an orchestra and a band. Orchestra could be during like a 0 period or an after-school thing,” said Royce C.