Should the Dodgers get the World Series Title?

The Astros and possibly the Red Sox stole signs during the 2017 and 2018 seasons; possibly affecting the World Series title winner.

Raghu C., Editor-in-Chief

In November of 2019, the Astros were accused of stealing signs by their former pitcher Mike Fiers. The scandal occurred during their 2017 World Series. Two months later, after an MLB investigation, the allegations were confirmed, and punishments were handed out.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred suspended Manager Hinch and General Manager Jeff Luhnow for the 2020 season. Manfred also banned Brandon Taubman, the team’s former assistant general manager, from working for MLB or any of its clubs for the 2020 season. Manfred also stripped the Astros of their first- and second-round selections in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and fined the franchise $5 million. Shortly after Hinch and Luhnow’s suspensions were announced, they were both fired by Astros owner Jim Crane. Alex Cora, former bench coach for the Astros and manager for the Red Sox “mutually parted ways” after the investigation detailed his involvement in the scandal.

The Astros stole signs by using a camera to record the signs, which were then decoded at the replay room or the dugout. If it was at the replay room, the upcoming pitch was sent via text message to someone at the dugout. A trash can was banged a certain number of times depending on the type of pitch. 

The Astros started stealing signs during the 2017 season, including the playoffs. They continued the strategy in 2018, but reportedly did not use it in the postseason.

Alex Cora brought the scheme to the Red Sox after the Astros World Series run. The MLB is now conducting a separate investigation into the Red Sox sign-stealing scandal during the 2018 season.

Because of the Dodgers participation in the World Series during 2017 and 2018 against the Astros and the Red Sox respectively, some fans are demanding that the Dodgers be awarded the titles for both seasons. 

On January 21, the Los Angeles City Council voted to pass a resolution to urge the MLB to award the 2017 and 2018 World Series titles to the Dodgers. However, this move is little more than a piece of paper, not a lawsuit. Changing the winner of the World Series or any major sports title has never happened. 

However, there is another solution that is not as controversial.

“I think it’s bad for the MLB in general, but I do not believe either team should receive a trophy,” said Hayden K., an 8th grader on campus.

Hayden brings up an interesting point. While sign-stealing definitely gave the Astros an advantage in the World Series, the outcome might have been the same without cheating, and the Dodgers may have still lost. So, perhaps the 2017 and 2018 World Series titles should be vacated altogether. 

This scandal has brought a dark day to the sport of baseball. While sign-stealing has been an accepted idea since the game was invented, using technology to make this easier has been prohibited by the MLB. The rule was introduced after the 1951 World Series, when the Giants’ Bobby Thompson hit the series-winning home run, and a team member used a telescope to spot signs.

The Red Sox and the Yankees also stole signs with electronics in September of 2017. The Red Sox sent deciphered pitches to a trainer in the dugout with an Apple Watch. The trainer would then signal the player at-bat about what type of pitch was coming. The Yankees viewed a TV broadcast of the game to observe the signs of a camera on the opposing catcher. Once deciphered, the batter was signaled accordingly.

With new technology available, the MLB must evolve to prevent history from repeating itself. Maybe baseball should place an MLB umpire in the dugout and video room. All electronics except for the MLB replay room could be turned off before the game. Or perhaps the pitcher might be permitted to have an earpiece, so a team member could relay the ideal pitch to throw. 

Each of these solutions has its flaws, and its likely that teams will attempt to exploit whatever possible opportunities exist in an effort to win at all costs. Without a significant penalty in response from the league office, it seems as if sign-stealing through the use of modern technology is likely to continue.