The New Band Teacher: Mr. Castellanos

The new band teacher, Mr. Castellanos comes from different enviornments to fulfill his dream job.

Mireille G. and Kiley G.

Mr. Bonner smiled and waved as he left Day Creek Intermediate School that last day. He was officially retired. Having taught on our campus since the foundation was poured, he would miss his job, though he was ready to move on, a legend in Etiwanda.

The new band teacher, Mr. Castellanos, has taken the baton and will lead Day Creek’s band going forward. He was inspired by other teachers when he was a student, and was influenced by different musical experiences in his growing-up years.

Castellanos found his love of music at a young age. He started playing the saxophone in 6th grade at South Ridge Middle School. Castellanos values inspiring students similarly to what he experienced during his years in junior high. But he could not have identified this passion without the inspiration of his teachers.

“My band teacher at South Ridge Middle School would let me conduct the band, so that was quite an experience,” Mr. Castellanos said. “I was the guy in front of the parade band. We’d go down the streets and I’d be tossing the baton. So, through those experiences, I realized that I really wanted to help kids by teaching them music.”

Thankful for his new position, Castellanos is sure that he will enjoy his time here at Day Creek. He hopes to spread his love of music among the students for many years to come.

When Mr. Bonner departed, some students were disappointed. Others were nervous, and some were excited.

Christene A. who has been in band for two years (since 5th grade), plays the clarinet, and was impacted by the thought of a new band teacher. “I think Mr. Castellanos has gone above Mr. Bonner’s standards,” she said. Christene didn’t exactly feel this way at first. “I was very sad when I heard Mr. Bonner was leaving, but when I met Mr. Castellanos, I was like okay, it’s not that bad,” she said.

Castellanos had previous jobs of assisting band teachers and substituting for various music teachers but before coming to Day Creek he worked as a saxophone teacher at Roosevelt Highschool in Eastville. But now he has finally attained his dream job: teaching his own band class of all types of instruments.

Mr. Castellanos is living up to his dream of teaching music every day. He loves music. Castellanos loves to work with kids and instruments. He is working toward his long life goal of teaching students music.