Dora and the Lost City of Gold

headlineplanet.com

Dora the Explorer and the Lost City of Gold

Bree R., Writer

Dora and the Lost City of Gold is a humorous, adventurous, action-packed movie, which has earned about $23 million dollars in its first week at the box office. Although $23 million dollars sounds like a lot, the movie’s budget was $49 million dollars, which seems a long way from breaking even. Dora and the Lost City of Gold resemble Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which earned nearly twice the amount of money than Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Did Dora and her Friends not live up to the standards they were expected too?

After living her whole life in the Jungle as an explorer searching for the lost city of gold, Dora finally has to face her toughest challenge: the reality of high school. Dora has trouble getting through the dangers of 9th grade without her parents or any friends. She does have a cousin, though they haven’t seen each other in what felt like forever. Even worse, Diego thinks she is a dork. The highlight of Dora’s day is calling her parents on a satellite phone to discuss their adventures.

The story began when Dora’s parents stop contacting her. Dora is too busy working on homework to think much about it. Later, when her class took a field trip to a museum, she was put into groups in order to finish the task her teacher had assigned. While working on the assignment she and her group were kidnapped and taken to the middle of nowhere. An old friend of her dad recognized her and rescued them just in time to get away from Swiper the fox and his crew. After going through a series of unfortunate events, Dora and her friends finally found her parents, right before discovering dad’s “friend” is actually an enemy named Alejandro. Alejandro captured them having Dora’s parents lead the way. Boots, Dora’s monkey, swoops in and freed Dora and her friends, but was not able to get Dora’s parents. Dora and her group raced to get to the lost city before Alejandro does. They conquer puzzles, traps, and anything else that got thrown in there way. They get to the last puzzle which would unlock the city of gold, but Alejandro got there in time and put in what he believed was the right answer. He was wrong, meaning there was a possibility that Dora could save the day. Dora, of course, gets the correct answer and saves her parents and gets out in the nick of time, right before the city capsizes. Everything and everyone goes back to normal but leaving availability to make a sequel. 

Dora and the Lost City of Gold is guaranteed to make you smile but was not impressive. The movie had far-fetched scenes and scenarios, that made you consider if it was worth watching. The movie was made for a younger audience but should have been made for teens, considering Dora the Explorer is older than there generation. Dora still made sure to bring in all of the loved and adored characters from Dora the Explorer and added more. The movie still has a way to touch your heart and remember how much you adored Dora when you were younger.