Editor’s Note

Ruthie B., Editor-in-Chief

Greetings and welcome to the first issue of The Day Creek Howl!  I couldn’t be more excited to introduce our new school newspaper online.  We have been tirelessly working on articles since the beginning of this brand new elective.  The whole journalism staff is proud to show you what is going on at Day Creek and in Rancho Cucamonga.  Our student-run newspaper is going to be focused on you!

There is something beautiful in first times.  When a child speaks or takes those initial steps. The very first Christmas or birthday. The first time walking on a new school campus. What it’s like to earn that first  A. The first time finishing a chapter book or walking onto a field for a sport. The first time meeting new friends, yet feeling like you’ve known them for years. Beautiful. Pure.

Reflecting on my first times, I realize the importance and value of them. All of our first experiences shape us. First times are memorable, molding us into who we are.  I am who I am because I took some small steps forward that led to even bigger  opportunities. Astronaut Neil Armstrong once said, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Having an American walk on the moon for the first time was a huge leap for our country. What first step are you willing to take?  
This is my first time doing anything like this. And I must say it feels great. This is the first time I get to publish writing. How cool is that?