Lights! Camera! Action!

Image Credited to Maleehah H.

Day Creek’s Drama Team performs in front of an audience.

Maleehah H. and Abby S.

From October 16, 2018, through October 18, 2018, members of the Day Creek Drama Team and Mrs. McReynolds helped perform different types of showcases over three consecutive evenings.

The sixth grade Drama Team performed skits where they acted in front of an audience. Students worked on projecting their voices to the audience, so they didn’t have microphones.

The crowd had a few fan favorites.“The poetry one by Shel Silverstein,” Mr. Henry said, ”It was so amazing, I shed a tear of joy,” In this performance, students were given a poem to act out, and in this case it was True Story by Shel Silverstein. Another act that seemed to be a fan favorite was Party Quirks. “Party Quirks was fun because you got to pick the character and when they reenacted the character it was really fun to watch them do it,” said Samantha O. A Seventh grade fan favorite seemed to be Doctor, Doctor, where the actors were given a bland skit, and the student director would tell them to do it in different ways, such as emotional, modern, or even like birds! “My favorite show is Doctor, Doctor. It was very creative, very fun, and I really liked it,” said Camila P., a participant from the show. Another fan favorite was the Reporter Off A Cliff. “ The ‘Reporter Off A Cliff’ was really funny and humorous,” said Kiara M., another participant of the Drama Team. Diana O., said, ”I’ve been so grateful that [students] have an outlet to be creative and expressive. And show [ the students] ability to perform”.

The sixth grade Drama Team performances seemed to be a lot of fun including audience participation. “It’s great to see something so positive and funny and silly. They are working so hard and are serious most of the time and it’s nice to see them laugh and be silly,” said Donalee Shaffer, an adult in the audience.

The next night, the seventh grade Drama Team enacted a series of around-the-campfire-like skits with funny punch lines at the end. In this performance, the members of the Drama Team got to use microphones and select their own lighting with the equipment fundraised by the previous cast of Beauty and The Beast Jr. and past members of the Drama Team.

The eighth grade Drama Team did something similar to the seventh graders, where they reenacted some lines from a script that they were given, with microphones and lighting as well.

Being a participant of the Day Creek Drama Team looked like a lot of fun for all of the kids who were involved. “It’s sort of nerve-wracking, seeing all of the adults out there watching you, staring you down. It’s just fun to perform [and] make people laugh,” said Josh Bahk.

Drama Team continues to be a popular place for kids to commit their time and energy.  “You get to play a bunch of games, and you get to act out a bunch of stuff,” said Ashtyn H. “It’s really fun [and] you get to have fun with Mrs. McReynolds and she’s the best,” said Samantha O., a previous member of the Drama Team.