Corrupt Media

Media today focuses more on theatrical talent than they do on kind people with kindred souls.

Image credited to media.defense.gov

Image credited to media.defense.gov

Sydnee R., Writer

Views:
1

All around me, I see famous people. Actors, musicians, models and more. But why do we put these people on such high pedestals? Media today focuses more on theatrical talent than they do on kind people with kindred souls.

I must admit, I fall under the same spell cast by “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” and “The Real Housewives of [insert city here].” But I’m trying to look in on our society from the outside  and when doing so, reality TV is kind of dumb. We watch people perform fake arguments and stress out because we find it entertaining.

Recently, the yodeling Walmart boy, Mason Ramsey, made it on the Ellen Show. Days later he was performing at Coachella. That same day, I read an article about a boy named Jack Andraka. You probably don’t know who he is. One of Andraka’s close family friends died from cancer when he was young. This event stuck with him until he was 15, when he invented a sensor that can detect cancer cells in their earlier stages with a higher speed and accuracy than any other. Andraka was given little recognition for his discovery, but, I mean, Ramsey can yodel!

The media often appears to disregard stories of people overcoming tragedies because they are too consumed with the tragedy itself. It documents the sadness by what appears to inspire people to help, but then infrequently records them the good that follows. As a result nowadays, our society can barely even trust our news sources. As Joss Whedon once said, “The news isn’t there to to tell you what happened. It’s there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.” Hopefully we can rise as much as we’ve fallen.

About the Writer
Sydnee R., Writer
Views:1Sydnee is one of the 7th grade writers for the 2017-18 year. She is excited to write stories that will impact others. When she is older, she hopes to study at the University of California at Los Angeles to become a Language Arts teacher. In her free time, she enjoys taekwondo, running, reading, and using...
  • Corrupt Media

Opinion

How Traveling Changes You

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Video Game Effects

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Smart Healthcare: Technology Advances In Healthcare

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Loneliness

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Music-My Escape

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Advice To 8th Graders Stressing On Finals

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Illegal Immigration

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Advances in Prosthetics

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

The Whole Picture

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Growing Up In A Developing Country

Corrupt Media