Corrupt Media

Back to Article
Back to Article

Corrupt Media

Media today focuses more on theatrical talent than they do on kind people with kindred souls.

Image credited to media.defense.gov

Image credited to media.defense.gov

Image credited to media.defense.gov

Sydnee R., Writer

All around me, I see famous people. Actors, musicians, models and more. But why do we put these people on such high pedestals? Media today focuses more on theatrical talent than they do on kind people with kindred souls.

I must admit, I fall under the same spell cast by “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” and “The Real Housewives of [insert city here].” But I’m trying to look in on our society from the outside  and when doing so, reality TV is kind of dumb. We watch people perform fake arguments and stress out because we find it entertaining.

Recently, the yodeling Walmart boy, Mason Ramsey, made it on the Ellen Show. Days later he was performing at Coachella. That same day, I read an article about a boy named Jack Andraka. You probably don’t know who he is. One of Andraka’s close family friends died from cancer when he was young. This event stuck with him until he was 15, when he invented a sensor that can detect cancer cells in their earlier stages with a higher speed and accuracy than any other. Andraka was given little recognition for his discovery, but, I mean, Ramsey can yodel!

The media often appears to disregard stories of people overcoming tragedies because they are too consumed with the tragedy itself. It documents the sadness by what appears to inspire people to help, but then infrequently records them the good that follows. As a result nowadays, our society can barely even trust our news sources. As Joss Whedon once said, “The news isn’t there to to tell you what happened. It’s there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.” Hopefully we can rise as much as we’ve fallen.

About the Writer
Sydnee R., Writer

Sydnee is one of the 7th grade writers for the 2017-18 year. She is excited to write stories that will impact others. When she is older, she hopes to study...

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Self-Care

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Conspiracy Theories

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

P.E. Testing – Does It Really Matter?

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Jussie Smollett Fakes Attack, Faces 3 Years In Prison

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Why Song Pariodies Are Better Than Actual Songs

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Why Braces Are The Worst

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

The Wall: A Leap Forward Or Back?

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Why The Puppy Bowl Is Better Than The Super Bowl

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Why People Hate Country Music

• Corrupt Media

Opinion

Why Muslims Don’t Eat Pork

Corrupt Media