New School, New Problems

Image credited to Ella D.

It will all be ok…. right?

Sol A., Writer

Ugh. Changing schools. Some teens are lucky enough to have never faced being a new student. Others are forced to put on a brave face and walk onto a new campus alone.

I personally feared starting a new school this year. At first, finding out that I was changing schools was hard. You know the onset: resistance, tears, silent treatment, and then acceptance. I missed the familiar faces and voices of my friends.

I was thriving at my original school. I was in the leadership yearlong elective, I was a part of Emerging Young Leaders, and I even had a minor role in the school play. I had been accepted in to my seventh grade leadership elective and was confident of the year to follow. But plans changed that summer. That was the summer all the foundation I built for myself was flipped upside down. I was scared of the fresh start and instability that came with switching schools. Would I still be a straight A student? Would kids like me? What if my teachers hate me? The uncertainty made me anxious and only worried me more.

The first day was the hardest. I spent most periods blinking back tears and devoted my lunch hiding out in the bathroom after being embarrassed of sitting alone. But I realized it wasn’t so bad. Most people were really nice and the teachers were great. I was going to be fine.

Turns out, many other students went through similar experiences and it worked out pretty well.

“I started in the middle of the year and I didn’t know anyone. It was hard at first because I had no friends and the teachers were all very different. But it got easier, I made a bunch of new friends and have one of the best teachers I think I will ever know,” said seventh grader, Jackson R.

“I think the hardest part of changing a school is gaining enough courage to put yourself out there. Everyone was already so nice and multiple people became friends with me on my first day. After having a few friends, I really gained my confidence,” said Kyla M

While it will be hard at first, if you gather all the strength you can, things can make a turn for the best. To be truthful, starting a new school was rough for me. I walked onto my new campus thinking this would be the worst year ever. But I quickly made so many friends and learned a lot from that experience. I don’t think it will be easy, but I am almost certain it will be alright.