Who Is Your Favorite? Me, of Course!

Image credited to Arul L.

In the book Wonder, Via’s grandmother chooses Via as her favorite.

Viraj N., Arul L., and Ethan N.

Have you ever wondered what your parents think about you and your ignorant siblings? Who, after all, is their favorite?

“I have three kids myself and I don’t have favorites. Often times kids may feel [disliked because] it’s a perception that they have. Such as their sibling is more preferred over the other based on the actions of their parent,” Mr. Apodaca said.

But, can you truly believe families don’t have favorites?

All over Day Creek Intermediate, students, teachers and staff are reading the book Wonder. In this story, Via was sent to her grandmother’s house because August was receiving another surgery. At her grandma’s house, she feels at home and hears a secret which changes her life. “I want you to know that you are number one for me. You are my everything” said Via’s grandmother. Olivia’s grandma reckons Via is her favorite grandchild, and she even says Auggie “has many angels looking out for him already.”

Parents always think their children are great. They realize their kids can be weird, but they still favor them, right? Try asking your mother who her favorite child is. There is a 99.999 percent chance the answer is destined to be none or all. Once this question is answered, you may notice a small pause. But when you ask somebody their favorite ice cream flavor , they will say “cookie dough” without hesitation!

People always have favorites. Teachers, parents and even our fellow principal. Suppose something horrible has happened, and your teacher is in trouble. Mr. Apodaca helps out like an angel. But when something horrible happens to a teacher that Mr. Apodaca may not prefer, is he going to save him? Well, of course! That is his job. But when it happens outside of campus, he may have a tougher time making that decision. That teacher is stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. Should I stop?  Hmm.

Moreover, parents feel the same way. One child just gets to their nerves, causing them stress after coming home from a long day at work. The other kid is loving and caring. The parents may be more likely to help out the one which is caring first before going towards the other.

Is it the same for our teachers? Which student will the teacher help? Or will they even help them at all?  “It’s not like I have one favorite [student] or I would treat one any different than the other [student] but there are certain students that you [can] call upon to do certain responsibilities,” said teacher Mrs. Clarke.

“All my students are my favorite,” said Mr. Tashkesen. I told you! The answer is destined to be none or all!

Parents, teachers, and even grandparents all favor someone more than the other. You may be thinking no, my parents never do that! Sorry, but it is true. If it’s not believable, try getting a security camera and spying on everything your parents say and do. Perhaps that explains why your mother is sneaking an extra present under the tree for your brother.