Why Star Wars?

Image credited to Ella D.

How do you see Star Wars?

Demiana G., Writer

You walk into Barnes and Nobles on a normal Saturday morning, looking for any book that satisfies the AR goal your mom has been nagging you about for a week. Suddenly, you are surrounded by Jedis and Stormtroopers. Maybe you walked right into the middle of a battle!  Or perhaps it is the one and only Star Wars Read Day, a fun-filled five hours of intergalactic fun! But what about those Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Narnia fans who’ve been banished, left only to watch TV and play on their phones? What did they do to deserve this fate? Did they join the Dark Side?

To some, the Barnes and Nobles Read Day is an amazing experience for those crazed Star Wars fans out there, a day filled with contests and books and yummy food – all of this Star Wars themed!

“Star Wars is a great story with an amazing storyline that spans from generation to generation,” says Mrs. Raymond.

But on the other hand, what about the students who don’t like Star Wars, or those people who don’t like reading in general (yes, I know teachers, HOW HORRIBLE!).

“[People who don’t like Star Wars] should still come because there are activities that are not Star Wars-related like the Lego building contest and cupcake decorating,” says Amber C., who has been part of the planning committee since the event first started. She also commented that they changed the theme from a holiday focus to Star Wars because it is “more fun for kids.”

So in the end, even if you are Star Wars-obsessed or don’t even know where it takes place (in a galaxy far, far away), you could have still had fun. So for those of you out there who don’t like Star Wars, but like books in general, there’s always next year, and the one after that until people stop coming. But seeing as we all know at least five people who are madly in love with Star Wars, the chance of a theme change anytime soon is pretty slim.