Will Robots Replace Teachers?

Image credited to Eve H.

Will metal boxes eventually replace living, breathing teachers?

Ethan N., Writer

Technology is slowly taking over the world of learning. Students are already using educational websites such as IXL and ConnectEd at school. Some people think that technology can replace teachers because AI (artificial intelligence) robots can teach more efficiently. According to the Telegraph, if AI were in charge, only thirty percent of school time would be used for teaching.

“Everyone can have the very best teacher and it’s completely personalized; the software you’re working with will be with you throughout your education journey. It can move at the speed of the learner,” said Sir Anthony Seldon, the vice chancellor of the University of Buckingham.

Professor Ashok Goel teaches KBAI (Knowledge Based Artificial Intelligence) to over 300 students at a time. He and his eight TAs (teacher assistants) couldn’t answer 10,000 questions on the online forums every semester, so Goel and his team of graduate students created a robot TA named Jill Watson. Jill Watson could answer questions from students correctly after a month of her construction. Goel never told his pupils about Watson’s identity until four months after her creation. The majority of the class was amazed that they’d unknowingly interacted with an AI program. Jill Watson had answered students’ questions online without them questioning if she was real. So, couldn’t robots pass as teachers?

“A carefully monitored program can be used very effectively, especially with students who have the capability to accelerate but also [with] students who are struggling. You can adjust it [because] it’s not everyone whose twelve-year olds learns at [one] level. You [might] have a twelve-year old that’s maybe at a fifth grade learning level,” said eighth grade teacher Mr. Ferrari.

On the other hand, instruction isn’t the only thing teachers do. They inspire, support and care for their students. One concern of artificial teaching is that robot encouragement feels fake compared to a human’s. It won’t seem the same as a teacher’s compliment.

“Students still need human interaction and I think that students like to be around others and have that learning group, that whole activity of sharing knowledge and gaining knowledge from others,” said eighth grade teacher Mrs. Morrison.