How Technology Is Changing The Way We Live

How+would+we+even+live+without+technology%3F+

Image credited to Ella D.

How would we even live without technology?

Abigail N., Writer

Ask your parents about their childhood, how they didn’t use computers or phones, but used books from the library instead. Did they have to visit the library every time they had to research something? If they did, they know what it’s like to not have their hands full of technology like we do.

I don’t think we could. When was the last time you ignored your technology for a whole day? Probably not anytime recently. And I don’t just mean the Internet. I mean no phones, no T.V, nothing with a screen. To some, that seems impossible. But is it? I mean, our ancestors seemed to make it just fine. Why can’t we?

It may be because students today don’t know what it’s like to live without technology. We go on our phones and watch Netflix all the time. We don’t know what it’s like to be tech free, like those generations before ours. It’s not impossible to go without gadgets, but we sure would dread not being able to use our phones. Let’s face it, our lives are different than it was back then. And gadgets are a huge part of it, maybe even most of it.

Devices make it easier to do everyday things. We can do everything on our phones, from setting alarms and reminders, to going on Youtube and watching funny videos – and you’re using technology to read this right now. Twenty years ago, access to music, movies and even something as simple as a contact list wasn’t nearly as easy.

Years ago, it was hard to make just one phone call. Now we can simply text or call as many friends as we want, for as long as we want. Their hardships actually encouraged better technology, which is why you have the amazing devices like your cell phone now.

“My phone has a variety of apps like the calendar so you know the date, or the alarm clock so you know when to wake up. Technology helps us contact each other if we were in a difficult situation and it helps us distract ourselves,” said seventh grader Fatima Bangash.

Just as people are amazed at how far technology has come, it’s not stopping anytime soon. Technology keeps getting better and better. Soon, we might even have flying cars! Some people might say that will never happen, but who knows. We have basically the whole world in our pocket now, don’t we?