Should Teachers Use NetSupport More Often?

Image credited to Eve H.

Should teachers be monitoring their students’ screens better?

Sonia P., Writer

Technology is everywhere on campus. Schools began the tech trend by providing individual laptops, or Chromebooks, to students a few years ago. These tools allow kids to take full advantage of the benefits of the Internet. However, to students, there is a limit to access. While students attempt to use the web for educational purposes in the classroom, school rules aren’t always given heed to.

You know the roll! ConnectED, StudySync and several other things are done in our tedious routine. As we resume our day, we often times disregard technology rules (don’t tell me you haven’t broken the rules, we all have and everybody knows it). Sometimes, it’s not for educational reasons. Often times, surfing the web during school hours is done simply to entertain ourselves to fight off the boredom. Sometimes we are searching for memes, hilarious animations a friend sent, or just playing silly games.

Admittedly, all this exposure to technology can cause distractions, which may result in poor grades, bad test scores and unfinished work for a number of students. Although many studious kids witness other children visit unnecessary websites, the temptation to report bad behavior to a teacher is halted due to the fear of being called a “snitch.” *sigh*

If more teachers were to use NetSupport to catch those rule-breaking students, they may see a jump in their classes’ grades. Teachers, the more you give internet freedom to your students, the more they will likely abuse their given privilege. So please use NetSupport. We may act very academic in your presence, but if you peel off those innocent looking masks you may be surprised about what you’d discover.