Is Movie Theater Comfort Worth The Cost?

Image credited to Eve H.

Is the price we pay to watch movies too much to handle?

Abigail N., Writer

One of the most common activities that students do to enjoy a night out is to go to a movie theater. Watching a new movie that just came out, hanging out with your friends and munching on some popcorn is a cool option for any Friday night. Of course, we all just hate the typical theater seats. When you get up, so does your chair seat. It’s the worst! But there has been a recent change in that regular theater experience.

Some theaters have changed their seating from the annoying original chairs to comfortable, relaxing recliner chairs. To some people, this is a dream come true! You can relax, and lay back. But, there is a catch. Since the recliner chairs take up more space than the usual theater chairs, this means that there are fewer chairs in the theater. It’s a good thing to book ahead and helps guarantee seats together. It can also cause issues with parties of people finding seats next to each other. But that’s not all.

The final difference is the price. A theater with regular seating can range from $10-12 for an adult, but recliner seating at AMC theaters costs $14.19. To some, this may not be a big gap. The extra $2 is no big deal. But to others, $2 isn’t worth the extra cost. So really, is the price worth it?

Well, let’s think about it. $2 extra for recliner seats may be worth it. What makes it worthwhile? Has there ever been a time when you had to arrive at the theater an hour before your movie started just to get the seat you wanted? Many times it would be so crowded you would have to get a seat up front where you would have to practically look at the ceiling to watch a movie. But with these recliner seats, you choose your seat ahead of time. So you don’t have to be there an hour early, standing in a line that wraps around your local AMC.

So yes, the extra money for the comfort in the theater may be worth it. The next time you go to one of these theaters and your parents think it’s too expensive, remind them of all the ways the extra $2 can improve your theater experience. Cough up the extra cash and enjoy a better movie experience.