Polls

Do you love State Testing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Greatness of Girl Scouts

A girl scout trying to sell her cookies.
Sydney N.

It’s cookie season! Day Creek is going gaga for Girl Scout Cookies. Boxes of them are popping up everywhere on campus. Our fav classics like Thin Mints, Tagalongs, and Caramel de-Lites are just delightful to eat! So where did this all begin?

“Juliette Gordon Low is the founder of Girl Scouts, and she was born on October 31, [1860], which is Halloween. Girl Scouts is the biggest woman-led entrepreneurial system [in] the world,” says Vivian O., a Girl Scout from Troop 6944.

Girl Scouts have been around for over a hundred years. The first cookie that appeared on the market was a simple sugar cookie which inspired the Trefoil cookie that Girl Scouts still sell today. As years passed, more cookies were added to the menu.

“I know that the Trefoils are the oldest cookie, because that was one of the ones that Juliette Gordon Low [and] her troop came up with and sold,” Vivian said.

Along with that vintage cookie, there are a few newer cookies that are just as popular. Give it up for the Adventurefuls, a brownie-like cookie topped with a drizzle of caramel creme and hints of sea salt. Future generations may enjoy this amazing cookie thanks to its popularity, which is good news for everyone.

I think [Adventurefuls] will stay a while because they’re very popular this year,” said Savanna M.

Girl Scout Cookie Flavors

Girl Scouts isn’t just about selling cookies, no matter how delicious they are. Girl Scouts teaches girls to give back to their communities and manage their money. Girls learn valuable lessons and knowledge that will help them later in life. It’s not just about the cookies after all. 

“It’s a good idea, especially if you like to give back,” Savanna says. “It’s a lot of fun, [and] it builds character. It helps you feel like you serve a purpose for people, and [you get to] help them.”