Sephora kids

Makeup products that have been broken because of kids who visit Sephora.
Julianne D.

Have you walked into a Sephora lately? As always, it’s stocked with the latest skincare for adults and teens. But next to some of that product is something new: rows upon rows of bottles and boxesmarketed for kids. And the result? Tweens (and even little five year olds) have been ransacking Sephora for the preppiest skincare products.

Multiple videos from workers and customers in Sephora show how bad things have gotten. The aftereffects of this tornado range from disorganization to shelf destruction, and most of it from  tweens. It isn’t right. 

“I feel bad for the [managers] because they have to spend the money for the testers,” said 6th grader Aubrey T.

So why are kids destroying displays and wasting the company’s money? Because they just wanna be popular. They are raiding Sephora and Ulta only for the trendiest products like a hoard animals.

“It’s all because of influence. In this generation, kids would cry and their parents would just give them iPads which makes them have [access to internet trends],” said 7th grader Bella C.

Along with raiding Sephora, kids are rude to the employees who have to clean up and organize afterward.

“I feel bad for the workers because they have to deal with cleaning up the messes after the kids, like all the products have random Drunk Elephant smoothies and brown stuff,” Alaina W.

Along with being disrespectful to workers, they are also bad-mannered toward other customers by being bratty and rude. 

“I was with my mom getting some hair masks, and I see them walking in with their Stanley cups, and they are like, ‘Oh my gosh! Drunk Elephant!’ as they were using the testers. Then I hear ‘move!’ and I didn’t think they were talking to me, but they shoved me and my back hit the racks,” says 6th grader, Zayneh D.

But what are the consequences of using these preppy products? Studies show that when kids use Retinol, they risk skin irritation and chemical burns.

“They buy products that are meant for adults. They shouldn’t be using that [Retinol] because it won’t benefit them at the age of 10,” said 7th grader Alaina W.

It’s stupid that kids are using products that harm their skin, even when there are many people online saying so, but it’s unlikely these kids will stop. After all, it is the trendiest thing in town.

“I think it’s dumb that 10-year olds are getting Drunk Elephant because I feel like they’re too young. If they’re gonna get something, they should just get cleanser or sunscreen,” said 6th grader Zayneh D.