El Dorado Fire starters plead guilty

A firefighter trying to handle the El Dorado fire.
Credit to the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

On Sept. 5th, 2020, the El Dorado fire erupted from El Dorado Rancho Park, Yucaipa. Refugio Jimenez Jr. and Angelina Jimenez were celbebrating during a gender reveal party. One of the smoke machine sparked on dry grass that resulted in the horrific fire that burned 22,774 acres through San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

USA Today reported that on Sept. 17th, 2020, Charles Morton, the leader of the elite Big Bear Interagency Hotshot squad, was killed as the flame overran a fire break. The El Dorado Fire also injured other 13 people, damaged or destroyed 20 buildings and forced hundreds of people to evacuate. 

According to AP News; on Feb. 9th, 2024, Refugio Jimenez Jr. pled guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of recklessly causing a fire to an inhabited structure. Starting Feb. 23rd, Refugio would serve one year of jail followed by two years of felony probation and 200 hours of community service.

Refugio Jimenez’s wife, Angelina Jimenez also pled guilty to three misdemeanor counts of recklessly causing fire to property. Angelina was sentenced to a year of summary probation and 400 hours of community service. In all they were ordered to pay $1,789,972 in restitution.

In September of 2023, the US Forest Service filed a lawsuit against the smoke machines manufacturer, distributor and sellers claiming that they sold smoke bombs that are illegal in California.