Day Creek’s First Pajama Day!

A group of 7th grade Coyotes participating in the first pajama day at Day Creek Intermediate.
Sydney N.

Spirit days provide kids on campus with the opportunity to show their creativity while matching the school’s energy for a schoolwide event. The enthusiasm is pretty obvious, even for a parent in the parking lot or a driver in the bus lane. Some students come to school with bright tutus and colorful face paint. Others show up wearing holiday attire with bizarre hats, beanies, or headbands. However, Day Creek’s dress code had previously forbidden something students really wanted: Pajama Day. But after pushing relentlessly, Day Creek’s administration gave students an early Christmas gift. And for the first time, PJs were everywhere on campus.   

“Not having Pajama Day is lowkey weird because you don’t have any comfort on you and you have to wear the same basic outfit everyday,” said 7th grader, Amiyah C.

Almost everyone on campus wore something fuzzy that they would never think to wear on a typical day of school. But thanks to Mr. Zajicek, Day Creek Coyotes had a really enjoyable spirit day.

“I like that we’re having Pajama day because it’s a fun day, and it’s only one day, and every school that I have been to has done it, as well as other schools in the district. Most schools do a Pajama Day. Elementary, middle, and high schools, they all do Pajama Day. I think it’s fun, so I’m cool with it for one or two days of the year,” said Mr. Zajicek.

Two days? Did you hear that Day Creek?

“I would like to have more dress up days in general, and I am open to another Pajama Day. [They could be] connected to something or just for fun; I’m thinking at least once a month, if not maybe twice a month. Maybe, we do the picking up garbage [reward-based dress up] for spirit days,” said Mr. Zaijcek.

Day Creek’s first Pajama Day left a lasting impression on how enjoyable a typical day of school can be when it comes with a little twist. It also left a positive impression on our administration, as they seem open to the possibility of additional dress-up excitement as we enter the final trimester of the school year.