Has Amelia Earheart’s plane been found?

The sonar image taken by Deep Sea Vision of the apparent plane of Amelia Earheart.
Deep Sea Vision

Has Amelia Earheart’s plane been found?

In 1937, Amelia Earheart mysteriously disappeared during the worst trek on their round flight around the world casting her final words, “we are on the line 157-337 flying north and south”. Just recently, a grainy gold image claims to have discovered the Lockheed Electra 10e plane that Earheart and her flight navigator flew.

National Geographic stated that Deep Sea Vision, an ocean exploration company, captured a sonar image in the central Pacific, just 100 miles from Howard Island between Australia and Hawaii. The image shows what looks like a Lockheed Electra 10e aircraft.

Andrew Pietruszka, an underwater archaeologist at Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego, stated that, “while it is possible that this could be a plane and maybe even Amelia’s plane, it is too premature to say that definitively. It could also be noise in the sonar data, something geologic, or some other plane,”

Sonar images are not like photographs. They send sound waves at low frequencies leading very low quality images. This led some experts to be skeptical about the discovery. The fuzzy outline of a plane might not be actually a plane. 

There are many theories from aliens to the imperial Japanese airforce. So, this might just not be the end of the Amelia Earheart mystery.