A Moody Melody

A student’s mood is changed once they start to listen to different music. 
Sydney N.

From the BC’s to the AD’s, and all the way to the AC/DC’s, music has existed and served a purpose. Whether it’s to brighten moods, or to honor a loved one who has passed away, music always makes us feel an emotion. All music has its own genre, rhythm, lyrics, and meaning. And all of it affects the listener’s mood. But how? 

“[Music] directs you into some sort of emotion. [For example,] I think for most people, classical [music] may help calm you down,” said Jane Z, a seventh grader.

When you hear a sad song, your mood might change to match the tone of the song, and you may become sad or glum. In contrast, when you hear an upbeat song, it may bring you to your feet as you dance to the rhythm. You can be bopping to a song one minute, but as soon as you hear a melancholy song, tears stream down your face.

“[When] I’m doing homework, I’m really bored, and then Bruno Mars starts playing, and I just start bouncing. I get a little bit distracted, but it’s okay, because [then] I’m in a good mood,” said 7th grader Lyra L.“[For example,] In Too Deep by Sum 41 or any other rock music makes me feel very upbeat, very happy, and [generally] less bored in life.”

Listening to pop music from artists like Bruno Mars can shift your mood from dull to energetic. If you’re in need of serious cheering up, music like Bruno Mars’ is the perfect medicine.

“When I’m listening to really slow, sad music it affects my mood. It makes me feel like I don’t want to do anything, because sad music makes me think sad thoughts which leads to a spiral, and I feel not motivated to do anything because my mind is occupied,” says 7th grader Emily Z.

Music has a different effect on each distinct listener. For some people, hard metal pounds on the brain until you can’t hear yourself think. For others, that same pounding rhythm brings relaxation to a stressful day. The connection between the song and the person is also key to a listener’s response. Say it was your mom’s wedding song, it would most likely bring a smile to your face. But if your parents are divorced, that same song could make you sad.

“Music can change your mood. [The] kind of feeling [you have], can affect the [songs] that you listen to. When [people are] sad they tend to listen to sad music to cope,” says 7th grader Aliana A.