Polls

Do you love State Testing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spelling bee

A+Day+Creek+Coyote+participating+in+the+Spelling+Bee.+
Sydney N.
A Day Creek Coyote participating in the Spelling Bee.

Why on earth would anyone ever participate in Day Creek’s Spelling Bee? Is it for bragging rights among your brilliant brethren? (See what I did there?) Is it to convey your Harvard ambitions to a future university? Maybe it’s to remind your parents that their DNA is flawless. Whatever your reasoning, this year’s Spelling Bee was just completed. 

On November 28, kids across campus displayed their spelling skills, only for it to end in a five-way tie!

“I thought [the five-way-tie] was pretty neat, we [had] like five kids that [kept] going and going and going, so it actually worked out well to do a second round [for] the top five,” said Mr. Zajicek. 

The winner(s) of the Spelling Bee didn’t win by sheer luck. It required rehearsing all sorts of words with all sorts of meanings. Here at Day Creek, kids can take huge pride in their ability to spell, with hopes of moving on to the next level.

“I want to go to Scripps (to compete at the highest level),” Shreya P. said. “I made a lot of friends the first time I went, and I want to get there again.”

Students tried their best to progress as far as they could, and may or may not have succeeded in their goals. And the Howl agrees that it’s better to try and flop than miss the memory of giving it a shot.

“[The kids who struggled] should study. The best way to improve your spelling is to read a lot. If you’re exposed to more difficult vocabulary, you’re more likely to know how to spell more difficult vocabulary,” said Mrs. Gossage.