October’s annular solar eclipse

Sage P.
This is the annular eclipse shown from Southern California

October has a very special surprise for us this year, that being a very rare solar eclipse, called an annular solar eclipse. Now you are probably wondering why it says annular solar eclipse, not annual solar eclipse. Well, an annular solar eclipse is when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, but when it is at or near its farthest point from Earth. At the same time, as the Moon is crossing in front of the Sun at a distance, the Sun gains a ring-like effect. That is why this October eclipse is called an annular solar eclipse. You will be able to watch the eclipse on October 14, 2023. It will start early, at around 8:08 a.m., and reach the maximum eclipse at around 9:24 a.m. If you do go to watch the eclipse, make sure you wear proper eye protection, or it will result in serious eye damage. If you are wondering what kind of eye protection is considered safe to watch the solar eclipse, then refer to NASA’s Annular Eclipse Safety Guide. If you are unable to watch the eclipse outside, then you can go to the NASA 2023 Solar Eclipse, where you can watch the eclipse live.