New pups of the pack

Sage P.
A new coyote working in class.

Dressing out for PE is a daily routine for seventh and eighth graders. But how do the new sixth graders, who have only started dressing out, feel? What is it like to undress in front of their peers?

“[Changing out] was pretty much what I expected. It was kind of weird on the first day, but then I got used to it,” said Camden C.

When 5th graders have PE, they simply walk onto the courts or fields, so this was a brand new experience. 

“I was expecting [the locker room] to be bigger, honestly. It’s just that I was expecting it to be bigger and brighter,” said Ivie E.

Many were nervous about the idea of changing in front of other kids, but after a couple of days, it was not so bad.

“When I got used to this place, I felt comfortable, [I] know where [I need] to go,” said Isaac.

Although sixth graders are getting used to the requirement, some don’t like it. 

“I’m uncomfortable with people looking at me. Also, I’m not used to it,” said Eva W.

Changing out for P.E. was only one source of the nerves. On the first day of school, many of the incoming 6th graders were nervous about everything.

“I wanted to throw up because I was so nervous. We didn’t know what to do,” said Isaac G.

Over time, sixth graders are learning that middle school is not as bad as they had initially believed.

“[My nerves] weren’t that bad [on the first day of school]. [Day Creek] wasn’t as bad as I [had] thought after the first day,” said Camden.

Although some were nervous, many were glad to begin junior high at Day Creek.

“I was excited. I slept early for the first time,” said Ivie E.

After getting to know the campus, and the teachers and staff, the students started to grow accustomed to the routine. 

“[Middle school is] not that much worse. Homework has gotten a little bad, but not that much worse,” said Eva W.

Over the coming days, 6th graders will learn the map and the schedule. Everyone, including the new students, teachers, and principal are still getting to know the campus, but once they get used to everything, they’ll feel right at home.