What’s For Breakfast?

Some students come to Day Creek early with ID’s at the ready, waiting for their morning meal.

Sage P.

Makayla S., Addison J., and Hayden H.

Diiiiiinngggg, your alarm buzzes telling you to get out of bed. You trudge to the bathroom to get ready for school as you change, brush your teeth, wash your face, maybe even shower. You race to get into your parents’ car to get to school on time. This is the average routine for a lot of kids. But there’s one thing missing. Where’s your breakfast?!

Breakfast isn’t usually on the top of your list as you speed to make it to school on time. It may be a once-in-a-while treat for you, but most of the time, it just doesn’t happen.

“Sometimes [I don’t eat breakfast], because I don’t have all of the time in the morning at my house to make breakfast,” said Makayla M.

Day Creek Intermediate offers both breakfast and lunch for free, but students don’t want to have to spend one of the only times when they can hang with friends, stuck in a long line.

“[I mostly eat] at home, because I don’t feel like waiting in line,” said Caden I.

Some students don’t eat the food because it appears and tastes unappealing. Not only do students view the lunch as unsatisfying, most are just generally picky about what they put in their stomachs. 

“[I don’t eat the school meals] because I think they taste bad and I don’t think the food is high quality,” said Caden. 

Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, mostly because it’s sort of like “filling your car with gas”.

“Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school,” says WebMD.

Since many students don’t eat breakfast, they attempt to satisfy a grumbling stomach by eating in class. From cookies, to chips, to candies, snacks are eaten as a way to hold off until lunch.

“I eat chips, Takis, Cheetos, sometimes I like Sour Patch Kids and Chips Ahoy,” said Aly E.

Many students find breakfast unnecessary and a waste of time. Others say it fills their appetite. Nutritionists believe it’s the most important meal of the day and is essential. But the question remains: will you eat your breakfast?