Intramural Basketball is Back to DCIS Courts

Students of Day Creek are very excited to participate in after-school basketball.

Sage

Marco A., Pablo GS., Josep M., and Ginny Z.

After being introduced in 2019, intramural basketball has returned to Day Creek’s campus. Mr. Rowland is the new director of intramural basketball. Practices take place after school on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and focus on learning the basics of basketball.Mr. Rowland is entering his first year of coaching the sport on Day Creek’s courts. 

“It’s been a while since we’ve had [intramural basketball]. Now that they’re bringing it back, it’ll be nice to get that [started] again,” said Mr. Rowland.

Mr. Rowland fell in love with the sport at a young age, where he moved on to travel basketball until he was fifteen years old. At that point, he went on to play during his freshman year of high school.

“[Basketball] was something to do and it was something I fell in love with. [I] played city league basketball until I was ten. I played travel basketball from ten to fifteen and I played one year of high school basketball,”said Mr. Rowland.

Mr. Rowland enjoys being able to observe the students’ progression in learning how to play the game.

“[I enjoy] seeing kids who may not have a bunch of knowledge of the game, and  being able to learn throughout the time that we have our practices. And then [when I leave for lunch, I get to see the student’s who] didn’t really know much but learned so much that they’re actually playing at lunch,” said Mr. Rowland.

Youseff T., an intramural basketball participant, plays on an off-campus team called Frӧhlich Academy. He enjoys how all students can participate on campus with ease while having fun with other students.

“[It’s] doable for everyone, and you can play with your friends as well,” said Youseff T.