With+the+election+results++confirmed%2C+many+wonder+whats+going+to+happen+next%3F+

With the election results confirmed, many wonder what’s going to happen next?

Election: What Happens Now

Now that the electoral college votes have been through their final count, it is finally time to move forward. The transition of power has been a bumpy one, but hopefully, we can put that behind us. Since both of Georgia’s senators are Democrats, what does that mean?

The Georgia state runoff election took place on January 5th, and Democrats Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff defeated Republicans David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, respectively. This is the first time in history that Georgia has had a Black Senator, and it is a cause to celebrate. In addition to being history-making, both senators are Democrats, splitting the Senate 50/50. With Kamala Harris as Vice-President-elect, she is also the President of the Senate. Her vote will break the tie for the democratic party, likely making Biden’s legislative agenda easier to pass. 

On Wednesday, January 6th, a mob of “protesters” stormed the Capitol building, smashed windows, broke into Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s office, and took pictures in her chair with their fists up. 

Those protesting are presumed to be Trump loyalists who came with the intention of interfering with the final electoral vote count. In reality, they are rioters, and some may say domestic terrorists, who vandalized the Capitol building and raided Nancy Pelosi’s office.  Luckily, Senate aides rescued the electoral ballots and counting resumed later that evening. 

On the night of January 6th, the electoral votes went through their final count, per the Constitution. Vice President Mike Pence presided over the joint session of Congress and the votes came through shortly before 4 am, confirming Biden’s win. 

President Donald Trump released a statement soon after Biden’s win was officially certified. It read, “Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th.” In the past, Trump has declined a peaceful transition of power, saying questioning the validity of the outcome.

“That was a rigged election,” says Trump about his loss of Georgia in the 2020 presidential election.

Despite his best efforts, Trump appears to have finally decided to agree to a peaceful transition of power. 

In light of all of these issues, there has been talk of invoking Section 4 of the 25th Amendment. It declares that if a President is unfit to lead, executive officials and the Vice President may vote for his removal. With a majority, (including the Vice President) the President can be deemed unfit to lead. 

“Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President,” said the National Constitution Center. 

The Day Creek Howl • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in