Gaston, one of the main characters in Beauty and the Beast, has had to work along with Mrs. Cooper to put together the musical.

Yearbook

In The Eyes of a Director: Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast is a theatrical masterpiece – one that has been retold in different ways since the early days of fairytales. This year, Day Creek Intermediate School will be bringing its version of this classic tale to life on stage.

Let’s dive deeper into how Mrs. Cooper started her passion for directing drama.

“I grew up performing. I started performing in the San Diego Junior Theater which was started by the Old Globe Theater, and I started at a young age. I started working professionally when I was still in middle school. By the time I was in high school, I was working professionally in high school, backstage as a stage manager throughout San Bernardino County,” said Mrs. Cooper. 

Being a director isn’t something everyone enjoys, but Mrs. Cooper has a strong passion for theater.

“I love working with kids. I have my own children’s theater company in Pasadena. I taught children’s theater in San Diego while I was still in college, and it is truly a passion of mine,” said Mrs. Cooper.

Drama and theater can help students build skills that will continue to help them in their daily lives. Imagination and creativity are a big part of theater, as it helps students show and express a character’s emotions and actions.

“I like to see students grow and change and develop and use their creativity,” said Mrs. Cooper.

In addition to skills, the play has many scenes that combine to make a unique play that people of all ages will relish.

No matter the person’s role, the play brings challenges that everyone has to overcome. Most of the students are new to theater, especially because it’s the first play to be performed since Covid.

“It’s been challenging. It’s been a very difficult year including the fact that this is all new for some of the Day Creek students that have never experienced it before, so it is a new stumbling block for most of us,” said Mrs. Cooper.

This team includes a variety of talented crew and cast members, and an extremely passionate director, Mrs. Cooper. Members strive toward a goal together, an important skill that will help them for the rest of their lives. It truly is a song as old as rhyme.

The Day Creek Howl • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in