Yearbook

The cast and the crew need to come together to put on each amazing performance.

Backstage with the Crew: Beauty and the Beast

It’s a tale as old as time: A girl, a castle, and a beast—and this year, the students at Day Creek Intermediate will take on the challenge of adapting this classic story for our stage. The play, which is based on the fairytale of the same name, promises to be an adventure for all ages. It will be performed in February, but this play wouldn’t be possible without the people working offstage. 

Each crew member assists the production in their own way and is a crucial part in making the play a success. 

“I am the backstage manager. I like it pretty well. I get to direct the people backstage during the show,” said Emma M., an 8th grader. 

Spots backstage aren’t open only to 8th graders. Anyone can offer their support to pull off a show. 

“My role is rehearsal secretary and I love doing it because I can help out with a lot of things, [such as] helping with costumes, working backstage, giving characters their lines if they forgot them, and helping move the props,” said Jocelyn W., a 6th grader.

Each member of the crew started their work for the play at a different date and have been working to figure out their unique role behind the scenes. It is very important for crew members to perfect their “job” before the cast actually performs for a full audience. 

“[My goal is to] make sure everyone has something to do and knows what they need to do, not just me telling everyone at the moment,” said Emma M.

Every crew member has a different responsibility to ensure that the play runs smoothly. While working on the crew is a unique experience, many challenges presented themselves along the way while learning what to do offstage. Since they need to make sure the play runs smoothly, crew members have to practice doing their jobs.

“Some challenges are coordinating where everyone’s supposed to be and knowing when to do your job,” said Ibrahim B., an 8th grader.

With crew positions, even people who are not good actors or struggle with stage fright can contribute to the process of preparing for the show.

“I like being on crew because I don’t like being on stage, and I really don’t have a good memory so I’d probably forget all the lines and dances and songs,” said Jocelyn W.

The Day Creek Howl • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in