Sage P.

The production of Beauty and the Beast took a lot of long rehearsal hours and hard work to put on the show.

In the Spotlight: Beauty and the Beast

In the world of theatre and drama, there’s nothing more captivating than a classic tale. And this year, Day Creek Intermediate School is taking on one of the most beloved: Beauty and the Beast. The cast consists of many talented actors and actresses ranging from 6th to 8th grade. 

The school has been rehearsing since November 1, 2022, and they’ve been working hard to make sure that this year’s performance is better than ever.

Students with and without experience in theater were welcome to try out. The program helps students experience new kinds of situations, while also giving them a chance to make new friends.

In the production, there are two casts: Rose and Mirror. The difference between the casts is that they perform the same play but there are different actors who perform the central characters. That way, if one of the actors gets sick, the other can take their place, without an understudy system.

“It’s fun to act and have fun with it, and also to talk to other people about their experiences,” says 7th grader Kailey M. 

Many other cast members agree with this. 

“There is so much interesting people, interesting scenes,” said Caleb O., a 7th grader.

And it’s not just fun—it’s also an opportunity for students to learn about how to work together as a team.  

“You definitely need to have a lot of cooperation with the other people because there’s a bunch of queues and things, and you might miss them if you’re not familiar with the song or the cast, so teamwork is very important,” said 7th grader Avril H.

It’s a great experience, with many challenges that have to be overcome. It can interfere with student schedules and consume much of their homework time (though some do it offstage during rehearsals). In addition, it takes many long hours of rehearsing, learning lines, and memorizing choreography before opening night.

“My goal is to hit that perfect loud, high note that Madame De La Grande Bouche uses to scare off LeFou,” says Avril H., a 7th grader. 

The cast’s continuous efforts are paying off. They believe that acting with a creative imagination builds enjoyable drama on stage.

“It’s kind of exhilarating because it’s super fun. You’re pretending to be something that you’re not and it’s super fun. You’re using your imagination,” said Max E., a 7th grader.

Scenes like “Gaston,” “Human Again,” and more will certainly appeal to the audience. Parts in scenes like the choreography are what bring life onstage.

“I probably like ‘Gaston’ because of the choreography,” said Clara C., a 6th grader.

This is the first time the school has performed since Covid, and students and parents are ecstatic to watch that curtain finally open.

The Day Creek Howl • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in