Do Students Agree With Dress Code?

Colin C., Jessica C., and Natalie M.

Why does Day Creek have a dress code? A dress code is a combination of rules that decide what type of clothing students have to wear. All around the country, these rules have created controversy about what is allowed to be worn at school.  http://www.today.com/style/school-dress-codes-spark-wardrobe-wars-how-handle-it-your-t41786 Apparel such as spaghetti-straps, short shorts, and gang-related clothing is not allowed.

When Ms. Lyon was asked what school would be like if there were no dress code, she said, “For our school, we would see a lot more short-shorts. I don’t think that most parents would let their kids wear something that promotes alcohol or tobacco.”

But what do students think?

“It is sexualizing girls, the fact that the school thinks the guy’s education is more important than girls. Like them looking at us, and then have us take time out of class to go change, ” said Abbey L. when interviewed at lunch.

“I hate it because if you have really, really long legs and really long arms they don’t care if you have short shorts on,” said Victoria G. “You’ll still get in trouble; it’s kinda annoying.”

Males have a different perspective on the dress code rules. “If people can wear other teams, why can’t we the Raiders? I looked it up; all teams are affiliated with gangs,” said Giovanni R.

However, some students support rules to assure a level of modesty.

“I feel like it is inappropriate – they are 12 years old and they are wearing really really short shorts. It is too much thigh. I do not like short shorts,” said Ryan M.

“It’s immodest to wear really short shorts. I’m fine if they do it, it’s there style. I don’t like to wear really short shorts because of dress code and my religion,” said Hannah B.

Although students have a dress code, so does the staff. Their contract states that they must dress professionally and appropriately for the school environment. If they do not reflect these expectations, their consequences are a little different. They can be reprimanded instead of getting lunch or after-school detentions.

For students, the rule is brief.  The Etiwanda School District’s dress code states, “A student who violates the dress code may not remain at school or at a school function unless the violation is corrected.” If the dress code is violated, a change of clothes is necessary.